Thursday, October 21, 2010

Week 7 Notes

Jeff Tyson “How Internet Infrastructure Works”
“The Internet is simply a network of networks.”  I love this quote and feel that it sums up the internet perfectly.  This article was an excellent guide in educating one about how internet infrastructure works; from basic structure to how information is sent to connection among networks/computers.  I found it interesting to learn about how different companies can become part of one network through Network Access Points (NAP) and how every machine has an IP address, which could then be given a domain name.  The examples provided within the article were also of great help in understanding the specific details. 

Andrew K. Pace “Dismantling Integrated Library Systems”
After looking up the definition and becoming familiar with all that entails with an Integrated Library System (ILS) I found the article very interesting.   I enjoyed the statement near the end of the article that discusses the two different choices a library vendor has; either to maintain the existing large system or to “dismantle” the existing module and integrate the system through web services.  I agree with the latter version, for I feel that mixing the new with the old is not only inevitable with the advances on technology, but would be a better system for the future. 

Sergey Brin and Larry Page Google Video
In the beginning of the video where they show how much activity on Google is happening around the world, really makes you think of how much a powerhouse Google really is.  I mean I just think of how much I use and rely on Google.  Not only is it my homepage, but I use gmail, gchat, Google docs, and for everyday random searches.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Google.  Especially, their changing logo, which I feel brings to light cultural and social events/people/dates that people might forget about.  For example, today, October 21st, they honor jazz great Dizzy Gillespie with their logo because today is his birthday.  Also, in the video I really enjoyed how insider information was told about the company.  I never knew about all the charities they were involved with and how they allow their workers to work on anything they want 20% of the time.  I think that’s an amazing concept to promote creativity and innovation.  Lastly, it was nice to finally see what the founders looked like, especially after reading and hearing about them for so long. 

1 comment:

  1. Felicia, I had very similar experiences with these articles and video. I thought it was all really interesting content, and I thought the network quote was also really pretty great. I really appreciate how practical and easy to understand all of the material for this course is. I could definitely see sharing this information (especially something like the video) with library users one day.

    ReplyDelete