Saturday, December 11, 2010

Week 14 Notes

“What Cloud Computing Really Means,” by Galen Gruman and “Explaining Cloud Computing,” YouTube Video
I never really knew what cloud computing was until this Gruman article and the YouTube video. In the video it defined cloud computing as where “data, software applications, or computer processing power are accessed from a ‘cloud’ of online resources.”  They both highlight that cloud computing is very inexpensive and will save companies and organizations from buying new infrastructure, software, and hiring new employees.  Both also explained the different forms of cloud computing such as SaaS, MSP, and HaaS.  I really enjoyed finding out that when I use Google applications (i.e. Google Docs) that I’m actually using a form of cloud computing.  I think it’s a great trend and I hope it continues, especially if they are more like Google docs that are able to allow me to share and create documents or spreadsheets with numerous people at once. 

“The Future of Libraries: Beginning the Great Transformation,” by Thomas Frey
I really enjoyed this article and I feel Frey gave an excellent overview of the history and trends that are affecting the future development of libraries.  I agree with all ten trends that Frey highlights, but my favorite were trend #1 where he list the different technologies/communication systems that people used to access information; starting with the telegraph in 1844 to podcasting in 2004 to showcase how communication systems are always evolving.  I also like trend #10 because I agree with Frey that if libraries can transition from centers of information to centers of culture then they can be more “tapped into the spirit of the community.”  Frey as well provides four recommendations for libraries concentrating on preserving community memories and embracing new technologies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment